1. In the state of Tennessee ________ of the exposed bedrock is igneous
and metamorphic rock.
[A] about half [B] about 3/4 [C] about 1/4 [D] less than 10%
2. The term _______ refers to the composition and texture of a rock.
[A] petrology [B] lithology [C] petrotype [D] lithotype
3. True [A] or False [B]: Small-scale geologic maps show both structural and topographic details.
4. Rock units on geologic maps may be indicated by:
[A] letter codes [B] colors [C] graphic patterns [D] all of these
5. The rock unit known as a _______ is the preferred mapping unit for
geologic quadrangles and is also the fundamental lithologic unit for naming
[A] lithotope [B] formation [C] group [D] bed
6. True [A] or False [B]: A graphic depiction of the vertical sequence of formations in an area is called a stratigraphic column.
7. If a rock contact on a map is shown with a dashed line, the rock
[A] not exposed [B] partially covered [C] well exposed
8. In undeformed rock sequences with flat topography, the youngest rock
units crop out in hilly areas. These exposures are called ________.
[A] outliers [B] inliers [C] drumlins [D] erosional remnants [E] both A and D
9. Bedrock consisting of _______ will be more durable than ________
[A] granite; sandstone [B] limestone; sandstone [C] sandstone; granite [D] shale; sandstone
10. Due to Africa docking with North America, Eastern Tennessee experienced
extensive and intense deformation during the ______ era.
[A] Early Paleozoic [B] Middle Paleozoic [C] Late Paleozoic [D] Mesozoic