The Sentencing Project
· Our growing prison system has pushed our incarceration rate ahead of all other nations.
· Our rate of incarceration is 5-8 times that of Canada and nations in Western Europe.
· The United States has been adding to its prison population even as crime rates fall.
· Women and children make up growing segments of new prisoners.
· People of color comprise two-thirds of all prisoners nationally.
These facts come from The Sentencing Project.
For more information, visit their website at www.sentencingproject.org