||The Old First Presbyterian Church Archaeological Project |
June 2-July 3, 2003
A cooperative project of the Department of Sociology and Anthropology at Middle Tennessee State University, Tennessee Civil War National Heritage Area, and the City of Murfreesboro, Department of Parks and Recreation.
Kevin E. Smith, Professor of Anthropology
The FPC project would not have been possible without the assistance of many individuals.
- Caneta Hankins (MTSU Center for Historic Preservation) for providing the initial inspiration for the project.
- Professor Lorne McWatters and Michelle Lawson of the MTSU Department of History for assistance with background research on the Old City Cemetery and First Presbyterian Church.
- Dennis Rainier, Director of Murfreesboro Parks and Recreation and the City of Murfreesboro for facilitating access to the archaeological site.
- C. Van West and Caneta Hankins of the Center for Historic Preservation for assistance with development of the interpretive exhibits and National Register nomination.
- Our thanks to the Rutherford County Historical Society for providing
pizza and sodas to the crew for lunch on two days.
- Our thanks to Dottie Frederick ("mom" to one of our crew members) for
providing a BBQ lunch for the crew.