Instructions for getting started
with CogLab 5
These instructions describe how students in the class PSY 4040 Cognitive Psychology
for instructor Dr. William
Langston at Middle
Tennessee State University create their individual
accounts. Students in other classes will follow similar directions,
but the login information and passwords will be different.
1. Open your Web browser and go to http://coglab.cengage.com/help/register.shtml
2. Towards the bottom of the page is a form that asks for three
pieces of information. If you do not see the form, your Web browser
re-load the page to continue.
3. Enter the requested information:
4. After filling in all the text fields, click or tap on the Start Registration button.
- In the Group Name
text field, enter the Group ID LangstonCogPsyS17
- In the Group Password
text field, enter LangstonCogPsyS17
- In the Registration Code
text field, enter your registration code. The registration code
could be in one of several formats. It may be on a sticker on
the inside front cover of your CogLab Student Manual. It may
have been bundled with your textbook on a postcard. Or, you may
have purchased a registration code electronically (sometimes
this is also called an e-Pin). There are two types of codes:
- A CogLab2 code: This is made up of 11 letters and numbers,
and will look something like this: yij2d9v6fu0
- A CogLab5 code: This is made up of 16 letters and numbers,
and will look something like this: sjkq8b632dvhd4u0
- Both are valid on this website. However, do not purchase used
CogLab registration codes! If the registration code has already
been used, it will not work for you. Each valid registration
code can be used only once.
5. Your Web browser will connect with the CogLab server to verify
your information. If the information is correct, a new window will
appear. The first line, highlighted in yellow, is your User ID. You
should write this down because you will need to access CogLab.
6. The second line is your registration code.
7. The next two lines ask for your first name and your last (family)
8. Next, enter a password. You'll use this when you login. The
password must be at least 8 characters long. It is best not to enter
a password you use on other web sites. The next line asks you to
re-enter the password.
9. The next two lines ask for your email address and then
confirmation of this address. This email address will be used if you
forget your password.
10. Next, enter a security question and answer. Make sure to use an
question that only you can answer correctly. Also, remember whether
you use uppercase or lowercase letters in your answer: you'll need
to enter your answer exactly the same if you forget your password.
11. If necessary, select your keyboard layout (for keyboard help,
12. Finally, decide if you want CogLab to remember you so that you
don't need to login each time. If not, uncheck the box next to Remember Me.
13. After filling in all the text fields, click or tap on the Complete Registration button.
Your CogLab account is now ready to go!
To start doing labs, just click or tap on the Labs menu and select the lab.
When you are finished, you'll be asked if you'd like to contribute
your data to the global data set. Submitting your data to the global
data set is entirely optional. There is no way to tell whether a
particular individual has submitted his/her data. At the end of each
lab, a message will appear saying "End of lab... Sending to
server..." and then you will see your results. Once you see your
results, you know that your data have been saved. On this page,
you'll also be able to see your trial-by-trial data, the group data
for your class, and the global data.
You can access details about your account, and view your data, data
from your group, and data from around the world by selecting Access Account from the Home menu.
Back to Langston's Cognitive Psychology Page